Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design




I've actually never created my own video game in SCRATCH before. But despite that I was doing pretty good for my first time in SCRATCH, did have some trouble. And even though I had a really difficult bug to fix I still had a good game of chase. However, I made it too easy by just making it so you only need to earn points by using the arrow keys. But my game does have two sprites and a background which is good, and the glitch in my game is explained in my third paragraph. In my "Platformer" game, since I knew how to do some parts in my video game, like using the arrow keys to make my character move it was a little easier at first. But I was having a hard time making the platforms because I kept accidently making the whole screen black, by using the bucket tool when coloring my platforms. After that finally stopped happening, I felt better and at least I was able to make two levels of my "Platformer" game! But I still need to fix some parts of my game, like getting the timer to count down and not up.

In my game of chase, you have to control the crab which is supposed to get away from the dinosaur. To earn points, you must click the arrow keys. I set a goal so if you reach 20 points, you win. But if the dinosaur gets the crab, the dinosaur says "GOT YOU!!!" and earns 20 points. Then you lose the game. A good tip is to hold the arrow keys until you see that you are at a corner. That way, it won't be as easy for the dinosaur to get the crab. Anyways, hope you enjoy or enjoyed playing my chase game! In my Platformer Game, the goal is to get the dragon to the orange square at first. Once you get the dragon to the orange square, the dragon has to get the light blue square. Warning, there is limited time for each level, but there is enough time to get to each square because you get 60 seconds for each level! Anyways, hope you have or had fun playing my "Platformer" game!

Okay, like I mentioned in paragraph one, I did have a bug in my game that I couldn't fix. The bug I couldn't fix was getting the game to end, after the crab reaches 20 points. I was so upset, I even got reminders from my parents to calm down. I emailed  Mr. Sanderl about the bug I couldn't fix, and he told me to try use another set of code. It again didn't work, even my parents couldn't fix the bug! So my mom emailed Mr. Sanderl that the bug couldn't get fixed. And my best code was getting the dinosaur to move at a slower speed and earning points for getting the crab. The glitch in my Platformer game is that it takes a few times of the dinosaur touching the orange square, just for the slopes background to change yellow, the orange square also doesn't disappear.


8 comments:

  1. Hey Max! I Love your characters they are very exciting and enjoyable.
    Try make your sprites move a little more smoother and work on your dinosaur because he stops moving after a while.
    Great Storyline, The game was fun to play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the choice of the crab as your character. However you can still move when the game ends and it will give you a point when you move. I also love the dessert setting as it adds a sense of survival to the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your game was really fun and made me feel like I was really in danger, however you could make your point system a little bit more challenging besides just getting a point every step you take and doing time evaded, and your game could be great with these changes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Max, I like how you chose those sprites and they come together perfectly.
    However you could have went to the how to tab, go to games and then how to move with arrows and its a simple way to make it move. I had that same problem.
    But I think if you use what I told you your game will turn out awesome and I will come back and play it later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the sprites they look cool. But you should add a stop all button and the crab should say something when he wins like "yay I won" ect...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your platformer game idea and creativity. I can not figure out how to move though. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Max, I like how creative you were thinking. Although, I just can figure out how to move through the game. Over all, love your game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The platformer has great potential and good level design, but looking just from the game I think you either have a messed up gravity engine or you're using when touching color black, change y by ten, but I loved the movement none the less.

    ReplyDelete